Five Exercises to Do With a PartnerAugust 21, 2017
You’ve heard it before– some things are just better together. Switch up your solo workout routine and try out these fun partner exercises!
- Start in a high plank position
- Play rock paper scissors
- Loser does 1 burpee (push up + jump), then returns to start position. Switch stabilizing hand before continuing.
Bosu Ball Squat & Toss
- Each person stands on the flat side of a bosu ball about 8 feet apart.
- The person holding the medicine ball completes a squat, then when returning to standing, will toss the ball to the partner.
- The partner repeats the squat and toss.
Lunge to High-Knee Drill
This exercise is best done with someone of similar height.
- Starting position: Partners will stand facing each other and grasp the other’s opposite hand. Make sure opposite leg extends out so that you are in a lunge position.
- The exercise: At the same time drive the back leg up toward the chest, then return to start position.
- Make it harder: Add a small single leg hop at the front leg as you drive the extended leg up to your chest.
Sit-up, MB (Medicine Ball) Overhead Pass
- Start position: In a sit-up position facing each other, toe to toe. Do not hold each other’s feet down. Each person starts lying flat (knees bent). The first person starts with the medicine ball extended overhead and resting on the ground.
- The exercise: Complete sit up and bring arms/ball overhead to toss to the partner who is also sitting up. The partner should be catching the ball over his/her head and allowing momentum to bring him/her back down to the floor. Repeat.
Tip: Do not initiate the sit up by swinging your arms up first. The toss should occur at the same time as the sit up.
Single Leg Balance with Overhead Back Pass
This exercise is best completed with someone of similar height.
- Start position: stand back to back about 1 foot apart. One person holds a LIGHT WEIGHT medicine ball at their chest.
- The exercise: Stand on one foot. The person holding the medicine ball passes the ball overhead and backward (extending through the low back and hips) to pass the ball to the partner. The partner brings the ball to their chest to start position.
Tip: Switch feet after 5 reps to balance load on each leg.