5 Killer Plank Exercises to Shake Up Your WorkoutMarch 12, 2018
0 like / 0 Comment
A few weeks ago we posted a blog on plank progression. Once you’ve mastered the basic plank, you can start to add some variety to the awesome, core-strengthening position. Scroll down for five great exercises to shake up your planks that will be sure to give you a great workout!
- Start in a low plank position which is on your elbows.
- Push up on to your hands, one arm at a time. Return to elbows. Alternate.
- Be sure to stay even by switching the hands that you push up on with each rep.
Alternating Shoulder Taps
- Start in high plank position, on your hands.
- Lift one hand off of the ground and tap your opposite shoulder.
Alternating Hip Abduction (Front)
- Place a resistance band above your knees. Start with mild resistance.
- Start with resistance, and step one foot out to the side then return to start position.
- Alternate (and make sure that your hips stay leveled!).
- Start in a high plank position.
- Pull one arm and the opposite knee in and underneath you, and bring them together.
Side Plank with Thread the Needle
- Start in a high side-plank position, your top arm reaching up toward the ceiling.
- If needed, place the top foot in front of the bottom foot for more stability.
- Thread your top arm underneath your waist, like you’re reaching around a large ball.
- Return to start position. Increase difficulty with a dumbbell or resistance band.
If you notice that you have any difficulty or pain during these exercises, you may be compensating and might not be ready for these next-level planks. If you have a previous injury that prevents you from doing any of the exercises above, come and see us-- we're always happy to help!