10 Benefits of Being Active while PregnantMay 05, 2015
0 like / 1 Comment
There are lots of reasons to remain active during your pregnancy that have positive effects on both the mother and the baby. Some women have greater fatigue in the first trimester, so it’s important to exercise when you have the energy and not push your body into exhaustion.
Here are the top 10 benefits of being active while pregnant:
- Decreased weight gain for the mother and babies tend to be leaner
- Improved self esteem
- Decreased varicose veins
- Decreased incidence of low back pain
- Decreased risk of preterm delivery
- May help prevent or treat gestational diabetes
- Improved sleep
- Shorter labor and fewer medical interventions required during labor and delivery
- Higher Apgar Scores, which is a health assessment of the baby just after birth
- Higher intelligence scores for babies born to pregnant mothers who exercised regularly
What should you watch out for?
If you feel dizzy, short of breath, experience vaginal bleeding or leakage, notice decreased fetal movement, feel a rapid heartbeat or chest pain, contact your OB immediately.
Stay tuned for tomorrow’s blog with frequently asked questions about pregnancy & exercising!
Curious how physical therapy can help you stay active during your pregnancy or relieve pain?
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.