Gym Bag Workout: Arm-Strengthening ExercisesAugust 17, 2022
Lifting weights helps me stay healthy, and also serves as a therapeutic device to blow off a little steam. Unfortunately, I don’t have a few thousand dollars laying around to build my own gym. That made me consider what I can lift at home to get a workout in for the day. A few things came to mind. I could lift a few chairs from the table, boxes of sodas or water, and tires, but nothing was really making sense nor was it safe. I tried to do some bodyweight exercise, which was good, but I wanted a little more.
After much consideration, I came up with the perfect solution- ‘Gym Bag Lifting’! I decided to fill up my gym bag with items around the house to create my own weights. The bag has straps and I can use it like a barbell or dumbbell. I can place the bag on different parts of my body to perform most exercises that I would normally do at the gym.
Now I know this is not the same as going to the gym and pushing some serious weight, however, this is a great option to allow me to still get my workout in. The following are some ideas on how to create your weighted bag and a variety of exercises that you can perform with your ‘Gym Bag Weights’.
1. Add Weight To Your Gym Bag
Step 1: Place a towel at the bottom of your bag. This is to create a liner of padding. Use a workout bag, backpack, or luggage (something with a handle to grab onto).
Step 2: Fill your bag with household items such as:
- Books, notebooks, and binders
- Soda & water
Anything that has weight but will not break can work. I suggest smaller items so it is easier to manipulate the desired weight.
Step 3: Weigh your bag, make sure it’s the desired weight for your goals.
You can always use multiple bags if you need more weight.
2. Floor Fly’s
- Lie flat on the ground with knees bent.
- Grip the handles of your gym bag with bags facing your forearms.
- Maintain an abdominal brace.
- Lower the bags towards your chest as you bring your arms to the ground.
- You should maintain a little elbow bend throughout the entire lift.
- Stop approximately at the level of the ground.
- Bring your arms back to starting position maintaining a little elbow bend and repeat.
3. Weighted Push-ups
- Lay face down.
- Place bag on your back.
- Use your arms and push yourself up to lower yourself back to the ground.
- Maintain abdominal brace throughout the exercise.
4. Bicep Curl
- Holding your gym bags in separate hands.
- Bend one or both elbows to move the bags up towards the front of your shoulder.
- Lower bags down to your side and repeat.
5. Seated Shoulder Press
- Sit on the ground with knees bent.
- Maintain upright posture with abdominal brace.
- Grip the gym bag by the handles.
- Bring hands over your head with elbows bent to 90 degrees.
6. Reverse Fly
- Start by bending your hips to form a 90-degree angle and keeping your back straight with an abdominal brace. You may use the hip hinge strategy or step back with one leg.
- Grip the gym bag by the handles, one in each hand.
- Lift arms out to the side to raise the bag.
- Return bag to starting position.
7. Bilateral Front Raise
- Start by standing with the gym bag in both hands.
- Bring both arms down to the front of your hips.
- Raise up both arms forward until approximately 90 degrees.
- Then, lower to starting position and repeat.
- Maintain abdominal brace.