The Surprising Health Benefits of WineMay 23, 2019
Multiple studies have shown that drinking red wine has been proven to improve your health. Red wine is full of antioxidants and this includes active compounds such as polyphenols, resveratrol, and quercertin which are known to have health benefits. Drinking red wine has been shown to have these benefits!
Benefits of Drinking Wine
- Improving heart health
- Protects heart cells from tissue damage after a stroke
- Inhibits platelet buildup
- Relaxes coronary arteries (arteries surrounding the heart)
- Regulate blood pressure
- Reduce inflammation
- Prevent oxidative stress
- Neutralizes free radical damage
- Has ability to block multistep carcinogenesis at different stages
- Assists with people with diabetes
- Decreases risk of blood sugar spike for those who have Type II diabetes
- Fights obesity and weight gain
- Blocks immature fat cell’s ability to grow and develop
- Decreases triglyceride and cholesterol buildup
- Raises level of omega-3 fatty acids
- Reduces risk of depression
Drinking red wine has also shown to have similar benefits as exercising for 1 hour – thanks to resveratrol. The results of this study showed that the participants demonstrated improvements with exercise performance, the cardiovascular system, and muscle strength. This is particularly helpful for those who cannot exercise for various reasons. Although this study showed positive benefits regarding drinking wine and exercise, do not substitute exercise for consuming wine.
How much wine is recommended to drink?
A moderate amount.
This entails 2 glasses of wine per day for males and 1 glass of wine per day for females.
- 1 glass of wine is equivalent to 5oz
- A glass of wine is also low in calories, only about 125 calories per glass
Which kinds of wines should I drink?
Try to stick with dark red wines.
- In general, the darker the wine, the higher it is in antioxidants.
- Pinot noir has been shown to have very high concentrations of antioxidants.
- White wine can be beneficial as well, however, there are not as many antioxidants.
WANT MORE TIPS?
Sign up for LIFE+ TODAY to have these practical tips sent straight to your inbox!
If you have any pain or injuries preventing you from enjoying life pain free, come in for a FREE ASSESSMENT with one of our expert physical therapists!