Paleo Basics: Inspiration for Healthier EatingJanuary 10, 2019
I first heard of the Paleo “diet” in 2012 as a bet among friends. We challenged each other to see who could last the longest eating this way. In a nutshell, the Paleo “diet” is a way of eating that eliminates processed foods – you can only eat what the cavemen had available.
Things to avoid:
- Dairy (cheese, yogurt, milk)
- Grains (wheat, oats, corn)
- Processed foods/sugars (lunch meats, cookies, granola)
- Legumes (beans, lentils)
- Starches (bread, pasta, potatoes)
Things to eat:
- Lean meats
- Nuts & Seeds
- Healthy Fats (olive oil, avocado)
At first glance, it may seem pretty daunting and many people can get caught up in the details of it all. When I first started, I kept focusing on all the foods I COULDN’T eat, instead of looking at all the options I had available to make delicious meals. A typical meal in the life of the Paleo diet is simple and does not have to be lacking in flavor!
Example Meal Plan:
- Breakfast: Spinach and egg omelet with side of fruit
- Snacks: Nuts, carrots, apple, plantain chips
- Lunch: Avocado tuna salad, cucumbers, tomatoes
- Dinner: Chicken skillet with sweet potatoes, apples, brussels sprouts and bacon
I generally eat this way. If it is someone’s birthday and we have a glass a wine, or I decide to eat my sweet potato fries with some ketchup I don’t stress about it. I understand the overall health benefits of this way of eating and personally, it has made me feel better. Give it a try and see how you feel too!
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.